Apply to Volunteer at Newfields
Interested volunteers must complete the volunteer application process. You are just three easy steps away from one of the most fun and rewarding volunteer opportunities in Indianapolis.
If you have any questions at any point in the process, please email our Manager of Volunteer Services, Chris Morehead.
- Complete the Volunteer Application.
- Once we have received and accepted your application, our Volunteer Services staff will contact you by email with individual or group interview dates.
- Once you have completed an individual or group interview and have been selected to join the Newfields Volunteer Team, Volunteer Services staff will give you the dates of upcoming Orientation Sessions. All volunteers receive a copy of our Newfields Volunteer Handbook, a badge, a volunteer shirt, and a tour of the Museum. If you are interested in working as a departmental volunteer, that position may require additional training post-orientation.
Prospective volunteers must be 18 years of age.
Opportunities for volunteering at Newfields are incredibly diverse, which means finding the perfect spot for your talents and interests is easy. A complete list of Volunteer Opportunities and Descriptions is provided during the Volunteer Group Interview. Below are our two most important positions along with a list of other opportunities we will cover in more detail throughout the interview process.
Ambassadors strive to provide exceptional experiences by creating a warm, positive environment for our guests through proactive interactions at various stations around the galleries and gardens at Newfields. Ambassadors inspire guests to explore more as they share all that Newfields has to offer. Our Ambassadors truly are an integral part of Newfields Guest Services Experience.
The Volunteer Information Guide is a seasonal volunteer opportunity that assists our guests throughout the museum and gardens depending on the focus of the seasonal exhibition. Information Guides will interact with our guests to help ensure that they have an exceptional visit to the museum and gardens. Any volunteer can assist in this role once they have successfully completed orientation with the Manager of Volunteer Services and have been approved to volunteer in this capacity. If you enjoy helping people and working with the public, this is a perfect fit for you!
Other volunteer opportunities include:
- Department Volunteer Services
- Guest Services
- Art & Nature Park
- The Garden
- Elder Greenhouse
- Special Events & Public Programs
- Family & Community Days
- Music & Performance
- Talks & Workshops
- Youth Programs