The beauty and bounty of fall doesn’t end once the pumpkins have left The Garden. Newfields’ Chef Patrick Russ makes a beautiful Blue Doll Pumpkin Bisque using pumpkins from Harvest Nights. Blue Doll Pumpkins will stay fresh on your counter for many weeks. This is a wonderful side dish to serve for Thanksgiving or throughout the holiday season.
Serving Size: 4 cups
Time: About an hour and forty-five minutes
1 tbsp - Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 cups - Pumpkin Whole, peeled, seeds removed & diced
1 - Parsnip, sliced
3 large - Carrots, sliced
2 cloves - Garlic, chopped
1/2 cup - Spanish Onion, diced
1 tbsp - Madras Curry Powder
1/8 cup - Light Brown Sugar
1 tbsp - Kosher Salt
1/3 cup - Canned Tomato
1 cup - Water
1/2 cup - Half & Half
1 cup - Milk
- Over medium heat, gently cook the pumpkin, parsnips, carrots, onions, and garlic together for 10 minutes. Soften, but don't brown.
- Add the madras curry powder and light brown sugar and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure that the sugar doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 1 hour on low heat, stirring periodically to prevent scorching on the bottom of the pan.
- Once the soup has reduced slightly and the vegetables are extremely tender, remove from heat and blend in small batches on high speed for 1 minute at a time.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve or strainer and adjust seasoning.
*Serve with crème fraîche, candied pumpkin seeds, and sage oil.
Pumpkin Bisque. Photo by Valeria Boltneva. Pexels.